8 Tips on How to Network Your Way to Social Savvy Success – In Person!
With social media steadily climbing as the number one way to connect and network, what happens when you find yourself having to meet people…FACE to FACE? Yes, people still network in person but although it can be very productive and create wonderful connections and relationships, many people find networking in person a little stressful particularly introverts. There is nothing like meeting in person and actually shaking someone's hand but how do you connect with people you have never met?
I recently attended the Social Boom conference and truly enjoyed the opportunity to connect with my online friends offline in a physical setting versus the way we normally communicated virtually. For those of you who feel a little out of your element, like a fish out of water in a live networking setting, I am going to share 8 tips to help you get out of the box…the computer box so you can network your way to social savvy success – in person!
1. Have a Strategy. Prior to participating in any networking event, have a goal for what you would like to accomplish. For example, you may have a goal to connect with 11 participants at the event and exchange business cards. Be sure to wear your name tag. It makes making the connection easier.
2. Accessorize! Be sure to wear your best accessory…your SMILE!
3. Work as a Team. It is always fun to network in pairs. Once you connect with someone you can work the room together which makes things a lot less intimidating.
4. Get Your ASK in Gear! I learned from my friend Stacy Stevens to "Get Your ASK in Gear" at the conference. Be genuinely interested in the other person. Find out where they are from and what type of work they do.
5. Find Common Ground. A great way to break the ice is to find things in common you have with others. For example, when you ask what others do you can quickly discover common threads that you can then elaborate on more during your conversation. I noticed one of the speakers was from North Carolina which is my home state. What a perfect opportunity to connect!
6. Be a Great Listener. It's all about them. Allow the person to talk about themselves and listen for things in common. Be fully present and attentive.
7. Be Thankful and Polite. Shake hands. In this particular situation, since we all knew each other virtually we went straight for the hug. Do what feels most comfortable.
8. The Power is in the Follow-up. Be sure to follow-up with people you meet in person. Social media makes it very easy to follow-up. Connect with that person on social media platforms. Send them a virtual or hardcopy note to let them know how much you enjoyed meeting them.
Networking can really pay off particularly if you are committed to staying connected. It is a great way to reach out, meet new people, make new friends and develop relationships that could ultimately lead to more life long friendships and business. Find networking events in your area and get outside the computer box!
Networking in Person with Online Friends
Supporting You One "Savvy Step" at a Time!
Share with me below a live networking event you plan on attending. Looking forward to hearing from you!