The Road to Brand YOU for Social Media Marketing Success
Stop #6: Your QR Code-"Get Jiggy with it!"
On our last Stop #5 on the Road to Brand YOU for Social Media Marketing Success, I shared information about Your Brand Consistency. This stop we will be taking a look at a marketing strategy using an interesting symbol.
What is this?
You have probably seen this funny black and white square gizmo and not know exactly what it was or what it is called.
I know when I first learned about these things a couple of years ago before I learned the name I described it as a "Thing-A-Majiggy" to my designer. That's a "technical" term better known as a "Do-Hickey." This "thing" is called a QR code, which stands for Quick Response Code. Technically, it is like a barcode and links to an action. QR codes are amazing marketing tools to redirect your clients to your website, social media platforms or other contests and giveaways. You can use them to redeem coupons or other fun prizes. They are great to use to build your brand and differentiate yourself!
Add it to your business cards and other marketing material so your tech savvy followers, friends and connections can scan your code with their smart phone and directly connect to your website, or social media platform without even typing in the URL. How cool is that?
3 Benefits of Using a QR Code:
1. Build your Brand. You can get customized QR Codes to build your brand for a FEE. You can also generate FREE QR Codes in the standard black and white format. It makes it easy for people to connect with you.
2. Differentiate Yourself. Although scanning and barcode technology has been around for years, QR Code marketing is just really beginning to take hold. It can really help your brand stand out!
3. Convenience for allowing your fans, friends and followers to connect with you in an innovative and FUN way!
Other uses of QR Codes include:
- Dialing a Number
- Linking to a Website
- Directing to a Landing Page
- Sending a Text
- Linking to a Special Offer
- Viewing a location on Google Maps
- Linking to Your Social Media Profiles
How Do I Get a QR Code?
First you have to generate a QR Code based on what you want to happen and the source you want to link to the QR Code. For example, if you want to link to a website, you provide your URL. Next, you need a QR Code reader in order to scan the code. You can download one on your smart phone and can find many readers in your phone app store. I use QR Reader for iPhone from the iTunes store.
Ready to PLAY?
1. Download your FREE QR Code and Reader
2. Scan the QR Codes throughout this article for your chance to WIN!
3. Have FUN!
If you really want to get "Jiggy with it" you can get a custom QR Code! Let's take a quick test drive.
Here are variations of the same code. Click the image to enlarge then scan to see where this takes you!
Can you say SAVVY?
Okay, Let's Begin!
Start Your Engines…Ready, Set, Let's Connect!
SCAN and Enter Your Name and Email to Receive Exclusive Updates on How to Brand Yourself Online, 100 FREE Branding Tips and A Chance to Win a Custom QR Code
SCAN, "LIKE" my Page and Leave a comment about QR Codes for a chance to WIN a Custom QR Code!
SCAN and Enter Your Name and Email for a Chance to Win A Personal Branding Assessment and a 15 Minute BRANDstorming Session!
Where to Use QR Codes?
1. Business Card – SCAN to see where it takes you or visit www.socialsavvysarah.com!
2. Name Tag at a Networking Event – SCAN to see where it takes you! Or type in URL at the bottom of tag!
(What a great Ice Breaker at a Networking Event!)
3. Banner at a Tradeshow – Scan and see where it takes you! (www.socialsavvysarah.com)
4. Print materials – Scan and see where it takes you! (www.socialsavvysarah.com/100brandtips)!
5. T-Shirts – Scan and see where it takes you! (www.socialsavvysarah.com)
Notice how I provided website URLs just in case there is a problem with the code or the scanner, the person interacting with the code can still participate whether they are scanner ready or not. Be sure to always link your QR Code to quality content. Also always consider the safety of scanning and signal availability of those who may be scanning your code depending on the location. For example you would want to make sure you have a Wi-Fi signal available in the location you place your code in order to scan it if you have a brick and mortar store.
Also not a good idea to include a QR Code on a billboard but I have seen it done. Please…Don't Scan and Drive! Finally, before you start your QR Code campaign make sure you inspect what you expect by scanning your codes to make sure your links work and you get the desired results. I was able to scan each code in this article and the links took me to the desired location.
QR Codes are an excellent way to build your brand using social media and creating an online presence, visibility and a FUN experience for your customers, fans, friends and followers. I encourage you to grab your code TODAY to help you on the Road to Brand YOU for Social Media Marketing Success!
Join me next time on the Road to Brand YOU for Social Media Marketing Success!
Your Branded Business Cards
Supporting You One "Savvy Step" at a Time!
Share with me below what ways you might consider incorporating a QR Code Strategy into your Social Media Marketing Mix.
I can't wait to hear from you!